Today I want to talk about my 2017 goals: reading and blogging (and some life ones).
I have no idea if I am going to reach them but I thought this would be a fun post to write!
- Participate in the Around The Year in 52 books challenge
This is hosted by some lovely people which you can find here (https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/174195-around-the-year-in-52-books). There are 52 challenges and you can complete them in whichever order you want and whenever you want.
Here are the Around The Year in 52 books challenges:
The 2017 List
1. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016
2. A book with at least 2 perspectives (multiple points of view)
3. A book you meant to read in 2016
4. A title that doesn’t contain the letter “E”
5. A historical fiction
6. A book being released as a movie in 2017
7. A book with an animal on the cover or in the title
8. A book written by a person of color
9. A book in the middle of your To Be Read list
10. A dual-timeline novel
11. A category from another challenge
12. A book based on a myth
13. A book recommended by one of your favorite authors
14. A book with a strong female character
15. A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland)
16. A mystery
17. A book with illustrations
18. A really long book (600+ pages)
19. A New York Times best-seller
20. A book that you’ve owned for a while but haven’t gotten around to reading
21. A book that is a continuation of a book you’ve already read
22. A book by an author you haven’t read before
23. A book from the BBC “The Big Read” list
24. A book written by at least two authors
25. A book about a famous historical figure
26. An adventure book
27. A book by one of your favorite authors
28. A non-fiction
29. A book published outside the 4 major publishing houses (Simon & Schuster; HarperCollins; Penguin Random House; Hachette Livre) – check all the editions
30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books
31. A book from a sub-genre of your favorite genre
32. A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding subtitle)
33. A magical realism novel
34. A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere
35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty
36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee
37. A book you choose randomly
38. A novel inspired by a work of classic literature
39. An epistolary fiction
40. A book published in 2017
41. A book with an unreliable narrator
42. A best book of the 21st century (so far)
43. A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, cold)
44. A recommendation from “What Should I Read Next” (link)
45. A book with a one-word title
46. A time travel novel
47. A past suggestion that didn’t win
48. A banned book
49. A book from someone else’s bookshelf
50. A Penguin Modern Classic – any edition
51. A collection (e.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays)
52. A book set in a fictional location
Go on their Goodreads group for recommendations for each category and for questions!
- Complete my TBR jar challenge
The lovely Michaela who blogs over at Floralinkbooks created some challenges for a TBR jar which you can find here (https://floralinkbooks.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/2017-tbr-jar-challenge/). I decided to try and complete these to help me pick my books for the Around The Year in 52 books challenge.
- Complete my Goodreads goal
I set my Goodreads goal to 40 this year because this year is one of my most stressful ones. In 2017 I will take one of the most important exams of my life to get into a good highschool and I need to study for it almost 24/7. I bet you’re wondering „40?”. Yes. I will complete as much as I can for the challenges from above, I don’t need to complete all of them.
- Read more diverse books
Everybody says this, I know. I can’t buy any books right now but I will try to read every single diverse book that I currently own. There are many great diverse challenges this year, like the Diversity Bingo 2017 (you can find it on instagram if you use that hashtag). Again, I will try to complete as many of those challenges as I can.
- Do something with my TBR
My current TBR is 80 books. I know, huge. I want to get it to at least half by the end of the year. For that reason, I am going to buy a book only after I read 10 books from my TBR. That is going to be hard but I am going to try.
- Read and review all the review copies I own
I have a bad habit of getting review books which I am really excited about and I end up not reading them. Don’t ask me why because I don’t know. I started the year well and I already reviewed one of them, which you can find here: Our Demons, Best Friends .
- Join at least 5 readathons
Readathons are a lot of fun. Hopefully I’ll be able to participate in some this year. Some specific readathons I want to join are: Booktubeathon, Biannual Bibliothon, RYBSAT and Tome Topple.
5 BOOKS I WANT TO READ IN 2017 (covers from Goodreads)
I started blogging one year ago and I am still trying to figure out what works for me and what I enjoy posting about. So that’s my goal for this year: figuring out this whole blogging thing. I want to find my style and embrace it.
I want to reach 100 followers on here. I know blogging is way harder than anything else but I still hope to do it. I want to believe in myself and maybe I can reach it after all.
Find more blogs! I don’t follow a lot of people here so if you have a blog let me know in the comments. I’ll check it out!
Write at least 20 reviews. I want to improve my reviews and, as you know, practice makes perfect. Hopefully I’ll be able to write more than that.
- Do well in my exam. Get into a good high school. Don’t screw up.
- Expend my photography skills.
- Start blogging about photography and travelling on my other blog, https://effulgentblog.wordpress.com/
- Be more productive and manage time better.
I think that’s it! I hope you enjoyed reading about my goals. Please comment yours because I would love to hear them.